Plate filler material

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 03:10:59 EDT

I understand that the black filler on the old cast iron plates, under the
gold paint, was made from slate dust and boiled linseed oil.  Looking at a
number of old plates I thought that the mixture might not have been thick
like window putty,  but rather like a very heavy syrup. They would pour it
on, let it flow heavily over the casting, then let it dry, possibly sand a
bit, then paint.

Is that about right? Please correct my assumptions if you know what was
actually done.

What materials do they use today? ( I know many use better castings and no
fillers at all.)

Bill Simon
Phoenix