question time

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:35:19 -0500

Brian,

   I have a homemade one similar to this that I picked up when someone was
selling some excess tools at a PTG meeting.
   It's a regular tuning pin punch with a slender steel rod about 5" long
which has a rubber 'cap' on the bottom of it. The rod is attached with a
couple of radiator hose clamps. No duct tape to fool with. :-) Just set the
rubber tipped rod where you want the pin to stop and drive it in.

Avery

> >Hi list, a couple of questions
> >
> >1) Is there an easy way to level tuning pins after a restring/re-pin other
> >than line of sight?
> >

> >I have a tuning pin punch that has a hard rubber nose, and a hole depth
> >for the
> >pin so that when you drive a pin in, you stop when the rubber nose comes in
> >contact with the plate. This way all pins are driven in to almost
>exactly the
> >same depth. If you are carefull to line all the wire holes up, and use
> >4.5 (depending on the wire / core size) windes per pin, they all come out
> >perfect :) I cant remember where I got it from, long time ago
> >
> > Brian Lawson

>now that's cool, if you remember where you got that i'd buy one.

> >2) Has anyone made a ratchet capstan tool, for when you really have to move
> >the capstans up or down a lot  :(

>yes, i have seen it in a catalog somewhere, ummm, piano tech, schaff???
>
>chris
>
>-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH
>
>-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429

mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work

mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home

Avery Todd, RPT