Liability advice

Doug Hershberger dbhersh@home.com
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:34:23 -0700

Hello list,
    This poor fellows predicament (with the women threatening to sue) brings
to mind something I have wondered about for years.
   There are just some instances in our work when we should probably just
decline to work on certain instruments. I know it is hard because we all
remember the lean times when just staring out when you wouldn't even
consider turning down work. I for one have not been diligent enough on the
phone as far as finding out about the piano in question, condition, age,
etc.
I know after reading this I will think twice about tuning anything with the
brand name "grand".
   I recently had an experience with a fine quality piano that someone had
butchered with a pianodisc installation. This is a good contract in a
restaraunt with monthly tuning but I dread going there because of that
pianodisc installers crude techniques.
   I have often thought that Piano Technicians are often quilty of kicking a
dead horse by always trying to revive pianos that should have been junked or
rebuilt 20 years ago. Personally, I like working on newer pianos.
   I know of people who say no to tuning players because of the extra hassle
or maybe they are afraid. Other people say no to tuning spinets. I am
starting to think there is some wisdom in being selective if your business
is at a comfortable level as far as making money. Of course it depends on
the size of the place you live in. In rural areas I don't think you can
afford to be as choosey. I would be interested to know if others on the list
turn down certain types of pianos or certain types of customers for that
matter.
   Good luck to AL with this whole matter. It is something all of us can
relate to and fear.
Doug Hershberger, RPT