Liability advice

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:19:52 +0200

Doug Hershberger wrote:

> Hello list,
>     This poor fellows predicament (with the women threatening to sue) brings
> to mind something I have wondered about for years.
>    There are just some instances in our work when we should probably just
> decline to work on certain instruments. I know it is hard because we all
> remember the lean times when just staring out when you wouldn't even
> consider turning down work. I for one have not been diligent enough on the
> phone as far as finding out about the piano in question, condition, age,
> etc.
> I know after reading this I will think twice about tuning anything with the
> brand name "grand".

I quite agree

>    I recently had an experience with a fine quality piano that someone had
> butchered with a pianodisc installation. This is a good contract in a
> restaraunt with monthly tuning but I dread going there because of that
> pianodisc installers crude techniques.

Being a Piano Disc installer myself I can sympathize. I was lucky enough to
learn from a fellow who had about 150 disk installations under his belt. A
couple years later I decided to get "certified" and took the 3 day wonder
course. I was amazed that Piano Disc would "certify" folks based on those three
days. Even with my mentor leaning over me it took me about 10 installs before I
started really getting the hang of it.

>    I have often thought that Piano Technicians are often quilty of kicking a
> dead horse by always trying to revive pianos that should have been junked or
> rebuilt 20 years ago. Personally, I like working on newer pianos.
>    I know of people who say no to tuning players because of the extra hassle
> or maybe they are afraid. Other people say no to tuning spinets. I am
> starting to think there is some wisdom in being selective if your business
> is at a comfortable level as far as making money. Of course it depends on
> the size of the place you live in. In rural areas I don't think you can
> afford to be as choosey. I would be interested to know if others on the list
> turn down certain types of pianos or certain types of customers for that
> matter.

I turn down any and all birdcages, any and all drop action pianos. Just too much
a pain in the butt.. and I am in a position to be selective. I remember the
"good ol days" too tho, I was always carefull to avoid hot water.

>    Good luck to AL with this whole matter. It is something all of us can
> relate to and fear.
> Doug Hershberger, RPT

Another point that refusal to work on sub-standard pianos brings up is the
affect that might / might not have on the quality of production, and the general
awareness amoung the public. Always hard to draw lines, but still some pianos
being produced should just be ... well the word "fraud" comes to mind.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway