Agraffe Repair Technique

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:40:45 EDT

In a message dated 9/07/1999 1:27:48 PM, tcole@cruzio.com writes:

<< I just realized I have a same-era model "A" to tune this morning. I
wonder what the failure rate on Steinway agraffes is. Hmmm.

Tom >>

Tom;
 For whatever reason the failure rate on some S&S instruments is more than on
others..............I am of the opinion it has more to do with the original
setting of the agraffes than the agraffe itself.  On 'some' instruments there
is a very obvious 'twist' to the portion of the agraffe where the holes
are......as if rather than removing the agraffe and grinding or shimming as
needed the belly man just twisted
the thingge into place after it was seated already.................... Most
of the broken agraffes I have replaced on S&S instruments have displayed this
'twisting' but not all of them........I think there is a connection but I
don't know for sure.
Jim Bryant (FL)