Plastic keytops

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:35:57 -0500

>Clyde....
>Not sure of the year but celluloid was used in the teens.

The following information taken from World Book Encyclopedia:

"The invention of Celluloid.  In the late 1860's, John W. Hyatt, a printer
from Albany, N.Y., developed a material to replace the scarce ivory used to
make billiard balls.  In 1870, he and his brother Isaiah received a patent
for the material, which they later named Celluloid.  Celluloid was the
first synthetic plastic material to receive wide commercial use."

>Plastic wasn't invented until late 30s as I recall.

"The invention of Bakelite.  During the early 1900's, Leo Baekeland, a
chemist from New York City... he had created the first completely synthetic
resin and the first of the thermosetting plastics.  He patented it in 1909
and named it Bakelite, after his own name.  Bakelite soon became widely
used to make such items as telephones and handles for pots and irons..."

"Growth of the plastics industry.  The introduction of Bakelite in 1909
gave scientists a better understanding of polymer chemistry.  The plastics
industry expanded steadily throughout the next three decades..."

"The most dramatic developments occurred in the 1930's.  Four important
thermoplastics--acrylics, nylon, polystyrene, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC
or vinyl)--came into commercial use..."

(There is much more!)

>I...Seems to me there was an
>article in PT Journal a number of years back about ivory.
>Dick MT

1947 or 1948?  Tremendous article.  Very graphic story with pictures.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild