APSCO portable piano tilter

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:57:25 -0400

Assuming this is the tilter I'm thinking of (#481507), it's just as well
the clamps didn't work for you Paul. Now, here's the trick you're waiting
for. Keep the tilter, but put the clamps in a truly safe place -- safe
being like the back of an unused drawer, hanging from a nail in the shop, etc.

To add emphasis, use anything -other- than the supplied clamps... (custom
modified = shortened) ratchet straps, logging chain, bungees (getting
desperate), or practically anything -other- than the clamps.

Then, whatever you decide to use, don't trust that either. Always reach
over the top of the piano initially as an assist before gravity begins to
work. You knew that though, right?

Finally, for any serious work (a.k.a., anything that generates revenue) you
might want to consider beefing up/reinforcing the tilter itself. The little
"feet" and other junctures have been known to fail at the most inopportune
times (see appropriate section of Susan Kline's PTJ article from of a few
months ago).

Other than that, you'll enjoy this tilter much more than the boat anchor
you've been using.

At 01:36 PM 9/8/99 -0700, Paul wrote:
>I finally bit the bullet and bought a portable piano tilter from APSCO a
>couple of months ago because I'm tired of the acrobatics I have to do in
>my van when I take my larger one from Schaff to a job site.  Used it for
>the first time last week, and it's great except that it comes with two
>clamps which are supposed to be used to lock the tilter to the frame
>posts.
>
>I tried every conceivable way that I could think of to use those clamps,
>without success...
[cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC