More on Agraffe repairs

DBee840388@AOL.COM DBee840388@AOL.COM
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:48:06 EDT

Sometimes I can't believe my eyes with the things that come up on this wonder
list.

On 9/7, I too, found myself wrestling with a S&S 1920's vintage broken
agraffe. (There are two and I was attempting to remove the 1st, the lowest
"B" on the piano.)

That sucker is frozen like the others mentioned in earlier posts, and so is
the "G" in the second octave from what I can tell so far (the one not fooled
with yet).

After getting the easy-out hole off center (such a joyful easy thing to
accomplish) which may have cause some bunged-up thread problems down stream,
I decided to seek further advice (beyond what had been given to me earlier)
from my fellow techs.

Current plans are to grind down the old ragged posts with a small dremel
grinding bit and to retry the easy out method again along with Liquid Wrench.

If that doesn't work, then to proceed on to drilling a new hole, tapping in
new threads, and then screwing in the new agraffe.

This is my first time on the list although I've been reading almost
everything since I bought my computer about a year ago specifically for this
purpose.

Another tech who has lots of credentials and know-how advised that he hired a
machinist at one point to remove the danged agraffe and then to retap, which
I'm sure cost an arm and a leg.

Any further thoughts on this last, yet to be attempted retapping procedure?
You will have my most appreciative thanks!

Don Bee, RPT
Chicago
DBee840388@aol.com