Dampiing Problems

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:32:18 -0700 (MST)

Hi Larry:

suggestion are below:

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Larry J Messerly wrote:

> On a fairly new M&H BB.
>
> Both G-1 and A-1 have an objectionable after ring at harmonic C#-5.  I've
> cut ends of the damper felts, replaced the felt.  Cut inside legs of
> damper felt, cut outside legs of damper felts.  Nothing seems to quiet
> this harmonic.  Could it possibly be the strings and their longitudinal
> vibrations?

Any aftering would not be caused by longitudinal modes of vibration. I
would look for untaped tails behind the bridge. Occasionally some other
higher poorly damped string will sound off when a heavy bass string is
played short.

> Also, F#-2 and G-2, cantelevered dampers near the bass strutt.  Cannot
> get good damping here, is it the location, the position of the heads
> foreward of the strike line or something else.

On the offset dampers in this area, sometimes the offset front damper
needs to be contacting the string just slightly before the back damper.

> Finally D#-2 has a loud harmonic that is not coming off the string but is
> stopped if the plate struts are held.  Any suggestions?

If you tap the plate strut, do you get the same ring? If absolutely
necessary, you could add material to the back side of the strut if
nothing else works. I have seen some pianos where this was the only cure.

Jim Coleman, Sr.