latest journal

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:59:50 EDT

wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU writes:

<< I wish the ad on the back page would tell folks how to avoid these
 pianos, and that Yamaha could do a better job of educating the public.
 I realize that to do so would open a pandora'a box.  Yet, a pandora's
 box is exactly what Yamaha's got.  I would think a class act like Yamaha
 could do something better than leave people SOL because they lacked
 information in buying.
    Undoubtedly many of you will have other information to contribute,
 along with business insights, etc.  Maybe these pianos self-destruct so
 badly over here that no amount of fix is worth the bother.  In that
 case, what steps could Yamaha take to protect the public and their own
 great image?

 ---Wally Wilson, RPT >>

Gray market Yamahas, (and other Far East pianos) have been discussed at great
length on this list, and I think almost everyone has agreed that these pianos
can pose a problem. Although there have been some good used pianos coming out
of Japan and Korea, enough of them have had major problems to generalize that
these instruments should be avoided.

I think what Yamaha is trying to do is inform technicians that these pianos
cannot be repaired, at least not with Yamaha parts. I think Yamaha is hoping
that if enough technicians tell potential costumers not to buy gray market
instruments, that the market will dry up. This, of course, will help the new
Yamaha market, which is what they are trying to promote.

I don't think the market will ever dry up, but just as Yamaha has promoted
their instruments through technicians in the past, they are hoping to have
the same effect on the gray market instruments. Whether they will be
successful will remain to be seen.

I personally have avoided dealing in these instruments, because I have seen
first hand the condition of some of these instruments. Yes, it would be nice
to have "Yamahas" for sale, but I just don't feel comfortable selling a piano
that might pose some major problems down the road.

Willem Blees