Computer help! (Not piano related...)

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:31:30 -0400

Hi list,

Any of you computer types out there care to offer an opinion?

I'm typing this on a new laptop computer.  I love it.  It's 3 times the =
computer my old one (only 1 1/2 years old) is/was.

I'd really like to retrieve some of the old information from my old =
computer, but I'm not sure I can.  Basically, it has begun hard drive =
failure, and most of the information that I would like to access is =
there on the hard drive.  It will boot up, but it will not run Windows, =
even in the 'safe' mode.  I've tried running the Scandisk program that =
was onboard, but it keeps finding errors it can't fix.  When it gets to =
the disk scan, it keeps finding sections of the hard drive that are =
"about to fail" and moves the info to another part of the disk.  And =
talk about slow... the Scandisk program files tell me that it 'should' =
take about 10 minutes for a disk scan... it took 4 hours to go through =
10% and then quit because it couldn't handle the job. Anybody have any =
suggestions?  Do you think a program like Norton utilities or another =
similar program would be able to help me?  or is it too late?

I've been a bad boy for not backing up my work earlier.  I'm thinking of =
replacing the hard drive on the old computer, and perhaps looking into a =
zip drive for a little more secure backup.  I'm also in the market for a =
program like Norton utilities, or a similar product.  But I sure would =
like to have some of that old info...

The upside is, now I have a portable computer and can play with the =
Tunelab program I downloaded!!  =20

Anyway, if you have an idea, thought, suggestion, or note of sympathy, =
I'm receiving them all with open ears.  :-)

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net