latest journal

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:38:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/1999 7:32:08 PM, donmannino@mediaone.net writes:

<< There is something to be said for supporting your company's core business
- making and selling new pianos. >>

Et Al;
 I agree with the tenor of Don's post with some 'very' slight
differences...for instance I have found S&S to be helpful in supplying
Hamburg parts...though they tend to cost more and take a little longer to
get...other than this nothing of any significance.

 I can't think of a piano manufacturer in this country that supplies parts
for discontinued models past a certain time and for the 'most' part that is
what these GMPs are, discontinued Domestic models.
 Yamaha is 'probably' concerned due to the marketing of these thingees as
being 'new' or 'slightly' used Yamahas equal in reliability/value to a 'true
new' Yamaha. this is seldom the case. And also of course the fact that
typically these thingees sell for far less than a new Yamaha and customers
don't know the difference.............besides the salesman looked so
honest...................

 In any event don't fret about what Yamaha will or won't do as far as
warranteeing these thingees.......they never have and should not have to.  It
is up to us, the techs who work on these thingees to repair/rebuild/maintain
and generally take care of them as to the desires of the customer and to
advise to the best of our knowledge and experience as to the
compatibilty/suitability on a case by case basis.............and when we run
into a situation where parts are not available do what we do with other parts
problems, i.e. make them...find them.... or do without!
  Wonder what their stance on decals will be?  :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)