Computer help! (Not piano related...)

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:51:28 +0200

NBrian Trout wrote:

>> Hi list, Any of you computer types out there care to offer an
>> opinion? I'm typing this on a new laptop computer.  I love it.  It's
>> 3 times the computer my old one (only 1 1/2 years old) is/was. I'd
>> really like to retrieve some of the old information from my old
>> computer, but I'm not sure I can.  Basically, it has begun hard
>> drive failure, and most of the information that I would like to
>> access is there on the hard drive.  It will boot up, but it will not
>> run Windows, even in the 'safe' mode.  I've tried running the
>> Scandisk program that was onboard, but it keeps finding errors it
>> can't fix.  When it gets to the disk scan, it keeps finding sections
>> of the hard drive that are "about to fail" and moves the info to
>> another part of the disk.  And talk about slow... the Scandisk
>> program files tell me that it 'should' take about 10 minutes for a
>> disk scan... it took 4 hours to go through 10% and then quit because
>> it couldn't handle the job. Anybody have any suggestions?  Do you
>> think a program like Norton utilities or another similar program
>> would be able to help me?  or is it too late? I've been a bad boy
>> for not backing up my work earlier.  I'm thinking of replacing the
>> hard drive on the old computer, and perhaps looking into a zip drive
>> for a little more secure backup.  I'm also in the market for a
>> program like Norton utilities, or a similar product.  But I sure
>> would like to have some of that old info... The upside is, now I
>> have a portable computer and can play with the Tunelab program I
>> downloaded!! Anyway, if you have an idea, thought, suggestion, or
>> note of sympathy, I'm receiving them all with open ears.  :-)
>> Thanks, Brian TroutQuarryville, PAbtrout@desupernet.net

Brian.... Dont assume its a hard drive problem unless you have a puter
expert look at it and tell you it is. There are several situations that
can look just like a hard disk failure and turn out to be something
completely different. Sometimes the processer can actually be screwed up
in such a fashion  that the condition you describe above exists.

Take the thing into a puter shop and have it looked at

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway