Buzzy B

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:17:24 +0200

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> Dear list:
> My customer's 7 year old Steinway B has had a phantom buzz (which usually
> appears briefly in spring and autumn) which I have finally ear-witnessed.
> While the notes which produce the buzz are on either side of the
> tenor-treble break, the buzz is coming from the stretcher or in S&S
> terminology, the "case comice". Actually, I hope it is coming from the
> strip screwed onto the inner lip of the stretcher (just above where the
> plate felt should be). Squeezing the strip against the stretcher kills the
> buzz, but it may be the stretcher-to-case joint which is causing the noise.
> Any experience with this out there? Quick easy & perfect fixes?
>
> Patrick

Not meaning to state the obvious (but I will anyways...grin) check the lock.
Almost every buzz from the stretcher I have ever run into comes from this. By
the way.. anybody got a good permanant fix for buzzing locks ?? (outside of
replaceing them ?)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.. N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway