latest journal

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:54:00 -0500

Don,

Sorry about any mis-information.  I had heard from a handful of different
sources, (some quite credible and very professional people like Bill
Brandon, and some much less credible people, as-in the local "gray-market"
reseller), that Kawai does ship used Japanese-market "gray-market" pianos to
the USA for resale.  I'm sorry that I may have mis-stated Kawai's position
as to which brand Kawai resells here in the USA.

I had also been told that Kawai does take Yamaha's as trade-ins in Japan.
If this is completely untrue, then please let me appologize now for
spreading a false rumor.

I was also told that at some-point Kawai remanufactured Japanese-market
pianos.  I assume this meant that you had a department that rebuilt
Japanese-market Kawai's before export to the USA.  Again if all of this is
untrue, then I greatly appreciate your setting the facts straight.  I only
asked these questions because I just want to understand the "gray-market"
better so that I can make an truly informed recommendation about these
pianos (not just an overly general knee-jerk dismissal).

As to Yamaha's position not to sell parts for "gray-market" pianos.  That's
their choice.  I don't personally agree with it or the motivation behind
this policy, however, I do wish to re-affirm that Yamaha has always been
good to me, and that I believe that they produce only quality pianos.  It is
my belief in Yamaha's commitment to quality causes me to disbelieve Yamaha's
parts embargo explanation.  Yamaha doesn't produce junk pianos, so why make
such a big deal about "gray-market pianos", and why now?

In defense of Yamaha, when I talked to Bill Brandon last week, he was
extraordinarily patient and professional.  I genuinely believe that he sees
"gray-market" Yamahas as a threat to the "Yamaha name", in that many of
these pianos are severely worn, abused, and not very well maintained.  To
this end, I agree that Yamaha needs to help identify Yamaha pianos that are
not quality used pianos.

However, I personally cannot believe that cutting off parts will help us
provide quality service for those "gray-market" Yamaha's that are already
here.  Yes, Mr. Brandon confessed that most technicians will just supply
Yamaha with a false USA piano's serial number to get those parts that
generic enough to be used in both versions (USA and Japan), and that we
could just order parts from Schaff.  I don't  like either option because it
makes technicians 1) buy all of their original Yamaha parts from a single
vendor (Schaff), or 2) become liars.

BTW:  Can tell me how Yamaha "seasons" a piano for ALL possible climate
regions in the USA, but a Japanese bound Yamaha is supposedly going to fall
apart here because it was supposed built to a lesser standard?  If this
really were true, then shouldn't we be frustrated that Yamaha is making a
supposedly lesser-quality pianos for Japanese use?  What about my American
clients that bought their Japanese Yamaha while stationed in Japan or the
Orient, and then brought their piano to the USA upon retiring?  Am I
supposed to tell them that their piano is now officially "junk" and Yamaha
won't let me order parts from them if we should ever need them.

Seeds of doubt.

Thanks for letting me respond,

Brian Henselman, RPT
MusicMasters Piano Service