U1 Buzz

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:24:27 PDT

I'm having trouble finding the buzz on a new Yamaha U1.  It was delivered a
week ago and the owner complains about a buzz when the a5 key is played.

I noticed the following:

The buzz comes from the bass section, more evident around the center of the
action.
The buzz does not go away after I mute all bass strings and the a5 strings.
I tightened (just a little) all flange screws.
I checked all other screws - none that are loose.
I removed the pedal rods - buzz still there.
I took the fallboard out - still there.
The buzz is considerably dampened when I push the B-flat2 hammer towards the
strings.
I'm about ready to give up.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Jay Mercier