Pricing, and organic shelves

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:10:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nossaman <nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 1999 9:56 PM
Subject: Pricing, and organic shelves

>Hi gang,
>
>A couple of questions, if you will.
>
>I need rough market values of (1) Mason & Hamlin AA (6') #60714 mahogany,
>looks good, needs rebuilt, and (2) Mason & Hamlin (9') CC #1712 (odd
number,
>early 1960's) ebony, looks good, needs work. Thanks.

A nicely restored  AA of the proper vintage will go for between $20 and
$30K.  60714 is not the proper vintage. Un-restored, depending on its
condition and your luck, you might be able to buy one for as little as $2K
(I have).  Is that rough enough for you?

As far as the CC, it's a white elephant.  Too big and too recent to be of
much interest to most people; however someone may come along who has the
room and the desire for such a beast.  I would hazard a guess that fair
price is somewhere between $6 and $12K.  There was one for sale here about
four years ago, and the owner was begging people to take it for $7K.

Check PianoMart to see if you can find some comparables.  I would knock
about 20% off of any asking prices there to determine a realistic selling
price.

Frank Weston