Poll - Most and least favorite pianos you serviced

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:52:02 -0500

John Nguyen wrote:

> I am very interested to know from your vast experience of tuning and
> servicing many piano brands, what are your most favorite and least favorite
> pianos you have serviced. I have grouped them into 4 categories of sizes.
>
> A. 6' or longer grand piano
> B. less than 6' grand piano
> C. 45" or higher upright piano
> D. less than 45" upright piano

Gosh, this is a toughy...

A. Best = 7' Knabe, (the original 1920's Knabe)
     Worst: = Kimble grand, about 7'6" or so. I don't know the model.  Plywood
soundboard, terrible action, etc.

B. Best = Mason & Hamlin A - the original rebuilt beyond like new with Renner
parts.  I have to say that the new Masons arn't all that bad.  Still not the
original but right on it's heals.
Worst = "La Petite".  Nuf said.  Vose & Sons might be a close second.

C.  Best = Most any completely and properly rebuilt quality full sized
upright.  Nice and bassy, rich & powerful sound.
      Worst = Most any unrestored full-size upright.  Also- any of those 1960's
blond colored school pianos.

D.  Best = Kawai 502 series.  Pretty darn good sound and action for a piano
that small.
     Worst = "Grand" spinet hands down.  Burn em' all!  (what a piece of
#@&*!!)

These are just immediate thoughts.  If I really thought about it I might come
up with some different ideas.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV