lyre, lyre...

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:15:01 -0500 (CDT)

>Okay folks.  I should know this one but I don't so I'm asking for help.  I
>have two lyres to repair; one's from a Steinway and another from a Baldwin.
>Both have the lower box coming loose from the pillar.  The construction on
>both is identical being a wedged tenon joint.  Would any of you learned
>sages like to enlighten me on the way to disassemble this item?  Replacing
>the wedge seems quite simple once it's apart.  Does the wedged have to be
>drilled out and a new one used or is there a way to remove and reuse the old
>wedge.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Allan

Hi Allan,
I haven't had to do one of these since I thought of this, so I don't know if
it will work or not (big build up intro, huh?). An impact puller. Sliding
weight with a deep thread dry wall screw on the end of the shaft seems like
it ought to work. That failing, I'd laboriously drill out the wedge in a few
places to make "wiggle" room and try to pick out the pieces. No bleeding.
Save it for stringing jobs.

 Ron N