Grand Stage Truck

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:10:50 -0400

Stan,

Newton has most of it covered.  There are a couple of very slight
modifications in my method.  The only tools I use are 2 2x4s, 1 Grandstand
(from Moving Equipment Makers (we call it "the smurf" because it's short and
blue)) and whatever wrenches are necessary for the spider.  It works well
for me to prop up one of the front legs, remove the caster, position the
stage dolly cup under the leg with one of the pieces of 2x4 beneath the cup.
Repeat with the other leg using the second piece of 2x4 then position the
rear leg.  While the 2x4s are still in place (BTW, they keep the dolly from
"flipping up" when weight is applied) I tighten the bolts and this seems to
avoid most of the bowing that sometimes occurs.  Remove the front blocks and
she's ready to roll.

A few small items:  Since I'm fairly tall I use place my knee under a corner
of the piano and lift to place it on the stand, dolly, etc.  If that's not
feasible, you can easily build a "leg & lyre" box that Susan Graham detailed
some years ago in the Journal.  (We had a discussion about that which you
can find in the archives.)  The Grandstand is a metal support designed to
hold up the piano while a leg is off.  They're not expensive and are very
handy if you have to do much moving or leg repair.  You should be aware that
some removing some casters requires removal of the leg from the piano.
Current Baldwins require removal of the entire ferrule (as of last check.)
Kawais and Steinways have screws inserted through the caster base up into
the bottom of the leg.  Other brands might have the same situation and any
of these can change design at any point.
One last thing, some pianos require certain sizes of stage dolly that may
not match the model recommended by the catalog.  Certain models of Young
Chang built instruments, for example, require the next size lower than
specified.  Be sure to check with your supplier before ordering.

Have fun with it don't strain yourself.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Institute Director