Grand Stage Truck

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:22:01 -0700

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT wrote:

>One last thing, some pianos require certain sizes of stage dolly that may
> not match the model recommended by the catalog.  Certain models of Young
> Chang built instruments, for example, require the next size lower than
> specified.  Be sure to check with your supplier before ordering.

Stan,

About 10 - 15 years ago, I put stage trucks on a Kawai GS-70 and some
7-1/2 foot Yamahas but the wheel base of these pianos was too big for
the middle-sized truck, at that time anyway. However, the concert grand
size would not telescope down far enough so I decided to modify them by
cutting the tubular parts on a table saw and drilling new screw holes.
Worked perfectly.

The mid-size one did fit, theoretically, but it bowed waAay up in the
middle and didn't look sturdy. I wouldn't feel safe towing it behind my
car that way. ;-)

I hope they've fixed that by now.

Tom

--