Plastic keytop repair

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:54:14 -0400

Friends,

Two days ago I tuned for an elderly lady who claims to have graduated
from Peabody Conservatory and owns a 1940 Winter spinet (I know,
something doesn't quite add up here).  Three of the keytops have nicks
in the front edge.  She asked about having the nicks repaired.

Advice?  I've heard about the chip repair kits but haven't tried them.
Even though the yellowed keytop could be matched in color, wouldn't the
color of the keytop change as one puts the finishing touches on the
repair material with sandpaper or steel wool or whatever?  How should I
advise this client?

Clyde Hollinger. RPT