Poll - Most and least favorite pianos you serviced

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:05:43 -0500

Ed Carwithen wrote:

> >A. Don't have any
> >B. No choice  less than 6' grand piano
> >C. Bush & Gertz????  45" or higher upright piano
> >D. WURLITZER, WURLITZER, WURLITZER.  ESPECIALLY THE NAUGAHYDE THINGS.  I
> up my price by half the minute I see Wurlitzer on the fallboard.  (not
> really, I just curse a lot (a whole lot).   less than 45" upright piano

Wurlitzer?  I'm surprised.  There are a lot of bad Wurlitzers out there,
particularly the ones where they started using the two piece pin block that
started separating and pulling away from the back of the piano.  On the other
hand there are some reasonable Wurlies out there that run circles around a
lot of stuff.  They were never great but I would have to say the "Grand",
Witney, Currior, the majority of the 1970's Aeolian products and many others
would come before Wurlitzer.

I would also have to say that some of the Wurlitzer old-timey full sized
uprights were pretty darn nice.  Not all that elegant looking but wow what an
action and sound!  I came across one once that I wanted to take home with me
even though it was 75+ years old.  Ugly, but the action was an absolute
dream.  Unfortunately I heard it was destroyed in a flood some years later.

Keep in mind I am NOT flaming you your opinion.  I am just surprised
considering how many heaps, (even when new), there are/were out there.  I
wouldn't classify ALL Wurlitzers as junk.

No offense, IMHO,

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV