Baldwin Escane (sp?) replacement cost???

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:04:46 -0500

I just did my first Escane (sp?) job on a Baldwin Hamilton c.1978.  What an
awful job!  I used the "keep the hammer butts on the rail" technique shown
to us at the 1998 Texas PTG convention last fall, but it was still such a
pain.

I found that I had to take off the hammer rest rail (cinch), repetition
spring rail (still a cinch), and all of the damper mechanisms (still a
cinch... but am I reaaaaally gonna save any time by removing all of this
hardware?).  I also had to pull of the jack felts too?  Of course everything
had to be regulated after reinstallation.

Now that all of my fingers have been glued together at least once through
this process, I have beautiful new butt-(leathers?), and catcher-(leather?),
and yes the piano sounds so much better.  But did I save any time not
pulling the butts off the rail like Baldwin says to do?

What's a good price for this work, removal and replacement of all of the
leathers, and complete upright regulation.  Would $1,000 be too much to
charge for this miserable job?  I just wanted your opinions?

Many thanks,

Brian Henselman