Gray Market Yamahas

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:39:17 EDT

musicmasters@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Ok, your point is what?  It's a 1955 piano.  How many 9 foot grands don't
 need $6,000 or more of work after 44years of use.  Yeah, for $17k they were
 ripped off.  But why does this disparage "gray-market" pianos?  The dealer
 is at fault here!  Japan is simply one source of used pianos.  This church
 could have been just as easily ripped off with a worn out USA market Yamaha.

I guess I didn't explain fully what I was trying to say. The point I was
trying to make, is that the importers are as much to blame for selling these
kinds of instruments than any one else. These are the people with whom we
should have a a problem. They import these instruments in very bad shape, and
all they are after is the fast buck.

I realize there are dealers out there who will do the same thing, but I don't
think a "reputable" dealer will sell an instrument in this kind of condition.
It's bad enough to have some disreputable dealers who will sell faulty
products, but then to have importers, who don't have to stand behind their
instrument, also flood the market with bad pianos, gives the whole industry a
bad name.

Willem Blees