Gray Market Yamahas

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:54:51 -0500

Here's why I think that they didn't get such a good deal.

Here in Austin I just inspected a c.1985 "gray-market" Yamaha 7'4" C-7.  I
needed only keybushings, and a good regulation, but that was it.  The dealer
was willing to sell it "as-is" no-warranty wholesale for $12,500.   This
piano was gorgeous, played wonderfully, had a flawless soundboard, was 30
years newer than the c.1955 9 ft bucket of bolt described earlier.  Yeah,
it's not 9 foot long. But it played the pants off of anything less than 9
feet and it cost nearly $5,000.00 less before the additional $6,000 in work.

How much warranty did the church get?  None.  $17k for a nice modern 9 foot
grand is NOT a rip-off.  This piano however, needed a minimum of $6k more in
repairs/rebuilding.  At $23,000 for a 1955 concert grand (we know that this
didn't include a soundboard, pinblock, refinish etc),  they could have done
better with a much newer "gray-market" Yamaha, even if it were only a C-7.

Now, my original point was...I'm still looking for evidence of problems with
the nearly new Yamaha "gray-market" pianos.  Wimblees said that this "gray
market" piano was problematic, and that they paid too much for it.  Although
I just pointed out that I too think that they paid too much, my contention
is that nearly any concert grand from 1955 with heavy use will need $6,000
or more in work in 1999.  Does this make all gray-market Yamaha's bad?

I don't believe so.