evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:36:37 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/1999 9:34:31 PM, musicmasters@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Hence, I'm fairly sure that Jim Bryant had his tongue pressed "firmly
against the inside of his cheek" when it said not to worry about these
"design features." >>

Brian H. ;
 Well yes, that is true :-)

 But to quote the official word...
" An important feature found in the ------------is the design of the
soundboard. This system is manufactured in such a way that it is constantly
under comprssion, which prevents the soundboard from relaxing. It is for this
reason that compression ridges may occur. Soundboard compression is planned
and desirable. Compression ridges are a cosmetic indication that the
soundboard has simply absorbed moisture from the atmosphere. "

 So I 'was' speaking tongue in cheek when I said they were a "design feature"
but I view them, "compression ridges", with a far more jaundiced eye
than------------appears to.
Jim Bryant (FL)