evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:45:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/1999 5:19:47 PM, richardb@c2i.net writes:

<< hmmm..  I'd be interested then in hearing about cracks in the soundboard
that
push upwards in a ridge shape. I have seen this on a number of occasions and
assumed (and have had it explained to me) as being the result of pressure
ridges building up due to excessive humidity.>>

 Richard;
 "Compression ridges" do not ordinarily have "cracks", although they may lead
to "cracks" eventually. Thus if the board dries out significantly from when
the compression ridges appear, and over a certain number of cycles of this
ridging and flattening, then "cracks" 'might' appear at the location of the
"compression ridge"(s).
When a board has "compression ridge" 'cracks', when in the moisturized state,
it generally is due to the fact that the ribs and board have seperated.
Jim Bryant (FL)