evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:53:58 -0700

It is fairly clear that Brian knows what he is talking about here, but I
would like to clarify one or two points.

    1)  In the first illustration below, he states "...it puts the
soundboard and the ribs at odds with each other, and provides way too much
internal tension."  The word should be compression, not tension.  Somewhere
along the line of piano evolution the idea came along that tension was
somehow desirable in the soundboard panel.  Several writers have (and still
are) mis-using the word.  Compression-crowned soundboard assemblies place
the panel under compression, not tension.  On the top, the bottom, in the
middle --
wherever you care to measure them, they are under compression.  This is true
until either internal cell compression has exceeded the fiber stress
proportional limit and the cells have been permanently damaged or until
long-term creep has permanently altered the shape of the wood cells (without
necessarily damaging them.  The top of the rib will be under tension, but
not the soundboard panel.

    2)  Illustration #2 is also pure compression crowning.  Regardless of
how it is obtained, if the soundboard assembly depends on compressed wood to
either form or maintain crown, it is compression-crowning.

    3)  Even in this case, the soundboard panel will be under some
compression most of the time.  As the soundboard panel is being glued to the
ribs, the top surface of the panel might be under some slight tension, but
as it is loaded by the downforce of the strings, the entire panel will be
under some slight compression.  This will generally be true except when the
soundboard panel is exposed to very dry climactic conditions.  During more
humid periods, the panel will be under slight compression.

(And Brian, why build a "press?"  In our shop we still use the same
individual air clamps that I built some 15+ years ago by choice.  They are
far more versatile than any fixed press would be and they do an excellent
job of applying even and uniform pressure to the rib while gluing.  What
more could you ask?)

Del