forks/question

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:08:09 -0700

I don't know about 415, 430, but
it didn't take much to calibrate one of mine to 442.
Filing the tong ends sharpens the pitch.
Filing inside the tongs base frees them up
flattening the pitch.

With leads me to a question.
I've purchased a fork with appears to have been
adjusted in production at the base,  filed
on one side of the base only. and finished over.

This was years ago, The Conductor of the
local symphony made the comment,
" it sounds like it has two sides".
It was not beating, but he claimed it lacked "focus".
So
Is it important to file the inside base equally towards
both tongs?  If upon filing one side it still produces one
frequency, perhaps it works harder to do so changing the
timbre in some odd way?

                                       Cheers
                                       Dave Renaud
                                        RPT