lyre, lyre... and the pants aren't evening smoldering

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:14:42 -0400

Thanks to all who replied to my query on the lyre business.  We finished the
repair on both the Steinway and the Baldwin.

Both had the wedges glued into the tenon slots.  In addition, the Baldwin
had woodscrews through the lyre into the tenon.  After removing the screws I
could drive the bottom box off of the Baldwin lyre.  The Steinway, however,
required drilling into the wedges then grinding between the screw holes.
The wedges then had to be removed from the tenons.  We found that using
wallpaper remover and a heat gun removed the wedges.  One of my apprentices
came up with the idea of using a piece of piano wire, held at each end with
vise grips, to pull the wedge out of the slot after applying heat.  We cut
new wedges from white oak.  We then reassembled and reinstalled the lyres
and all seems to be well.  At least it will be easier to repair if it comes
loose again.

Hopefully somebody else will find this information of good use and thanks
again for all the help.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Institute Director