Brass Flange Rails (incl. dampers)

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:46:37 -0300

Hi List,
I ran up against, an older Kimball that had a 'double' brass flange
rail.
The dampers on one edge and the hammer butts on the other.
The only problem I had to fix was, install a new damper return spring,
which was part of the damper butt plate.
I just wanted to know for future reference, are these parts still
available?
I notice Schaff makes replacements for the one type.
On damper spring replacement, I have used the cord and bamboo sticks. I
tried something new the other day for one that was too small for the
cord I had. (The core was twisted, so I couldn't remove strands, except
on short pieces)
I found some hookup wire that was snug, and it had a teflon covering, it
seemed to work quite well.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada