Gray Market Pianos

Carol R. Beigel carolb@earthlink.net
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:01:53 -0400

Glad to know I'm not the only one looking for this info.  The post I was
looking for mentioned a few things:

X  That not all gray market pianos had two pedals instead of three.
X  That the Japanese people consider the purchase of a piano so important
that they would never consider buying a used instrument.  Therefore, there
is a tremendous supply of used pianos in Japan, because of people trading
up, but no market for selling them.
X  That these pianos are built for very humid climates, and it is when they
come to the US that in our heated houses, they dry out too much.
X  That dealers who buy them in the US are not necessarily real Yamaha piano
dealers, but want to be able to advertise they have Yamaha pianos for sale.

Hope this helps to jog someone's memory!  Thanks.

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland