agraffes on bridge?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:49:23 EDT

> a Hallett & Davis grand that had undergone a
>rebuild.  What struck me as odd was the fact that instead of the standard
>bridge arrangement, agraffes were used on the bridge to provide
>termination.  I am wondering if this piano would have originally been
>constructed in this manner,

Greetings,
     Yes,  Hallet and Davis often used a staggered bearing line from their
bridge agraffes, on a perfectly flat board.  This combined the negative and
postive bearing in equal amounts.  Be sure that the agraffes weren't turned
so that the exit angles are all the same!
Regards,
Ed Foote
(My parents piano was an 1872 Hallet "& Davis Upright with this type of
bridge)