Best guess?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:04:54 -0400

I picked up a Knabe grand action yesterday for a quick turn-around -- must
be back in the church before Sunday.

Among -many- other things (typical Aeolian of this vintage), the key end
felt -- damper lift felt if you prefer -- is shot. My inventory has several
packs of "so-called" key end felt from Schaff. It's iridescent blue, too
thin, and compresses too easily. When I complained to Schaff, they told me
I should have ordered 'Steinway-style' key end felt, although it wasn't
listed in the catalog. This is the firm, red (the way God intended) stuff
with good resilience that looks like bellyman felt. So, I kept the blue
stuff to avoid the paper shuffle, and ordered the Steinway type. It's too
thick.

The question. Should I try to skive the S&S type narrower/thinner; create a
sandwich  (or shim) the blue stuff; or... ?

Normally I wouldn't care, I would (and ultimately will) make allowances at
the piano. However, I'm not looking for damper 'make-work' when I'm on a
limited time schedule.

Jim Harvey, RPT
- who's never seen iridescent blue felt anywhere in a piano

PS: the backcheck heads are swiveling on the wires, and CA isn't working...?
PPS: the capstans are too loose, and CA -is- working, but not very neatly.