Best guess?

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:36:24 -0700

harvey wrote:

> Among -many- other things (typical Aeolian of this vintage), the key end
> felt -- damper lift felt if you prefer -- is shot. My inventory has several
> packs of "so-called" key end felt from Schaff. It's iridescent blue, too
> thin, and compresses too easily. When I complained to Schaff, they told me
> I should have ordered 'Steinway-style' key end felt, although it wasn't
> listed in the catalog. This is the firm, red (the way God intended) stuff
> with good resilience that looks like bellyman felt. So, I kept the blue
> stuff to avoid the paper shuffle, and ordered the Steinway type. It's too
> thick.
>
> The question. Should I try to skive the S&S type narrower/thinner; create a
> sandwich  (or shim) the blue stuff; or... ?
>
> Jim Harvey, RPT
> - who's never seen iridescent blue felt anywhere in a piano
>
> PS: the backcheck heads are swiveling on the wires, and CA isn't working...?
> PPS: the capstans are too loose, and CA -is- working, but not very neatly.

Jim,

It's really nice to have the right thickness, isn't it?  I keep a bunch
of exotic felts around for just that reason.  When Steinway felt is too
thick (as it always is except for Steinways), I often use untapered
temperament strips, available in 1" and 5/8" widths from APSCO.  Their
old red colored stock was pretty good, and they're probably still
delivering it in untapered lengths, although their newer green stuff is
useless.  I stocked up several years ago.  I also sometimes use the
European thicknesses available from Pianotek.  A temperament strip from
them worked great on a Boesendorfer.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA