Best guess?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:36:03 -0400

At 07:06 PM 9/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

>>The question. Should I try to skive the S&S type narrower/thinner; create a
>>sandwich  (or shim) the blue stuff; or... ?
>

>Remarkable! I finished a Knabe rebuild about three months ago, and ran into
>the same thing. I installed the thicker (gooder) felt, threw my
>"Stack-o-Washers" key weights on to hold the key backs down, and clamped a
>felt knife on the underlever height setting arm of my string height gauge,
>set it to the appropriate height, and skimmed the lifters to the right
>thickness in a couple of passes. Quick and dirty. I didn't have the room in
>the piano to fudge the extra thickness and still get the sostenuto to work,
>but this worked fine.
>

>>Jim Harvey, RPT
>>- who's never seen iridescent blue felt anywhere in a piano
>
>Of course not, the stuff's too thin!

A few years ago I replaced the key end felt on a Stieff grand with the
'good' stuff. Firm, red, all the right pedigree, except I could hear it
click every time I played a staccato note. I took it off and put on the
soft blue stuff, worked great. Plus the color is so cool. Not to be
contrary, but everything in its place.
Ken