Are there other piano tech discussion forums?

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:40:57 -0600

At 10:56 AM 9/18/1999 -0500, Brian wrote:
>John,
>
>Thanks for the sites, but I'm not able to find these URL addresses.  Could
>you send a link to these sites?  Or just give me the http://www. type
>addresses.

I'm replying publicly in case anyone is interested and has not been exposed to
Usenet discussion forums (AKA newsgroups or NGs).  I should mention that
"Usenet", where the above forums may be found, is a somewhat-unregulated part
of the Internet where some of the more unseemly things about the net exist. If
you are so inclined this is a good place to employ "filters" if you don't want
to see any of that stuff. I might also add that it's possible that if you post
using your real EMail address you may receive unwanted spam in your mailbox.

On the other hand there is a wealth of information to be found there. Using
Deja.com (DejaNews) described below you can search for all kinds of discussions
or articles for sale that may interest you.

>There are the newsgroups rec.music.makers.piano as well as
>alt.music.piano-technician. The first gets a LOT of traffic, and the second
>hardly any.

Point your browser to http://www.deja.com and from there search "Discussions"
for "Piano". I'm not sure how they relate, but the "Top Forums" that came up
related to piano when I did that just now were alt.religion.scientology and
alt.revisionism as well as the top choice, rec.music.makers.piano.

I suspect alt.music.piano-technician is not seen at every news server including
DejaNews. Mine carries it, but it's a very low-traffic group. It seems most
technicians, including some who post here regularly, prefer the rmmp (as it's
colloquially known) newsgroup. BTW, My provider (CADVision) carries roughly 40
thousand different newsgroups, so there's an awful lot there. Some providers
(like CADVision's "Family" service) filter out the worst offenders before you
see them.

Good luck... and try to stay out of trouble!  B-})

                        John

John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
email: john@musselwhite.com - blues@musselwhite.com