Pianos Under Water

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:07:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/1999 11:30:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lspivey@prodigy.net writes:

> Hi List,
>
>  Greetings from down under, not the equator but from Floyd's flood waters in
>  Eastern North Carolina, USA.  While I am high and dry, hundreds if not
>  thousands of pianos in my area have been swimming without scuba gear. Many
>  have been completely submerged for days and while others have only gotten
>  their legs or bottoms wet.  In my 25 plus years of piano service nothing
>  like this has ever been a problem.  Do any of you have experience with
>  flooded pianos. Are pianos that have under water rebuildable.  Any help
>  would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Lewis Spivey, RPT
>  Eastern North Carolina, USA

Hello Lewis -

   We currently have 2 very fine grands that are in our facilities after
taking a soaking by Floyd. (1 Beautifully rebuilt Knabe, 1 20 yr. old
Steinway) Neither are rebuildable. Both have delaminating rims, stretchers
pulling away from the frame, boards are swiss cheese, etc. - I mean, with the
rims the way they are, we can't even install a new board & block.

   Wish I had better news - open to all other suggestions.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelhia, Pa.
1 800 394 1117

PS - The Knabe is presently for sale - CHEAP - any takers?