agraffes on bridge?

Tunethepno@AOL.COM Tunethepno@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:42:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/99 11:53:31 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

<< There are some issues that must be considered with any string termination
 system. >>

I have only tuned two pianos that use agraffes on the bridge, but I have to
allow extra time for them because settling is much more difficult. The first
time I tuned the Sohmer I thought I was losing my skills entirely. As I was
progressing up the treble, the strings that I had done an octave ago (using
spacial terms for a measurement of time) were not where I thought I had left
them. I finally realized that the agraffes must inject more friction or an
extra pressure point in the string length. As long as I used more test blows
and was patient, I got them settled, but, as I said it took extra time.
John S.