Kawai Satin Finish

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:51:38 -0400

Brian, I can't speak to the Cory products, or whether you or your client is
right. For the rest of the story...

Most flat panel stock on current Kawai pianos is color(ed) polyester, from
the outside to the inside of the finish material.

Earlier production, such as the 550 you mentioned, used a color
polyurethane cover coat -over- a polyester base coat.

Whether early or current production, both high polish and satin finishes
start out the same. At a point in production, the various panels and
components are separated, depending on whether they are to ultimately make
polished or satin pianos. At a point, one group goes on to progressively
finer polishing (high gloss); the other gets its finish "destroyed"
(satin), by additional sanding and steel wooling to generate the high/low
pattern that characterizes a satin finish.

On polyester-only black finish, whether polished or satin, if you were to
sand the finish, the sandpaper would immediately turn black, and continue
that way all the way to the core wood (the backing material between panel
stock and finish is also black in this case).

Conversely, if you were to try the same experiment on the 550, your
sandpaper would turn black initially (black polyurethane), then would yield
grey dust (polyester) the rest of the way.

That's the "hard" way of determining which is which, but provides some
background information for you. Polyester is harder than urethane,
therefore resists scratches better. That's another test... not that you'd
want to try it.

I have seen instances where you could drag a moist white rag across a newly
uncrated satin piano, and have the rag pick up black residue. The black is
trace elements of (either polyester or polyurethane, depending on vintage)
that didn't get blown away, wiped away, or otherwise removed at the
factory. It's rare to get rid of it all in a production environment.

Why you would still get this effect on a piano of this age, I don't know.
Perhaps we're back to the Cory products and my lack of knowledge about
them. Maybe the product amalgamated the polyurethane again. In any event,
the 550 (high polish and satin) is a "sandwich" -- a core layer of
polyester, and a top finish of BLACK polyurethane.

Hope this helps rather than adding to the confusion!

Jim Harvey, RPT