Pianos Under Water

DaveAAAP@AOL.COM DaveAAAP@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:13:56 EDT

  I agree with Ed about Yamaha quality.  Just an interesting tidbit
though.....
I used to be a tech where Ed works and the humidity where the pianos are
stored and worked on there is always much drier than a normal dwelling.  It
continuously measured between 30 - 35% R. H.

Dave Streit
AAA Piano Service
Beaverton, OR

Ed Wrote:

I have dealt with two pianos that have been "under water".  Now I am a self
proclaimed Yamaha fan and will tell you up front that I work for a Yamaha
dealer.  (if i don't disclose this some get upset)

I would junk the pianos for the sake of the customer but would love to tell
you of two pianos that we have in our rental fleet.

One Yamaha was under water or floating for 5 days before we got to it.  They
had insurance and we replaced the piano.  We then bought the piano from the
insurance company.  The piano was a GH1 in Polished Ebony.  The pinblock was
not replaced: we restrung the piano and used one size up on the pins.  Going
two seemed too much.  The hammers shanks and flanges were replaced.  The
keytops needed replacing.  The amazing thing is that after the wips dried out
we kept them ... thinking that we would replace in the future if we needed
to.  I would have thought that the pinblock would have been shot.  I begged
the owner to let us replace the block but he said if we are getting good
torque readings and it looks good, leave it.  It was his money.  So we left
it.  It has been 7 years now since the flood and it is the most stable rental
we have.  We use it for weddings and outdoor concerts in the park.  Any time
we think the piano will be in adverse conditions and we want the extra income
that is the piano that is sent.  It is in remarkable condition.  By the way
we never replaced the repetitions.  They have been fine except for a few jack
tenders that have been reglued.

Two years later a pipe burst over a C3 customers piano.  6'1" Yamaha and the
ivorite keytops curled up like you would not believe.  It was funny to look
at.  We bought that one from the insurance company too.  We did all of the
same as above and now have two floater pianos in our rental fleet and if you
think that Yamaha is just another piano company come look for yourself.  I am
a true believer... every other brand of ALL the major companies that were a
part of the flood needed everything.  They were junked.  We honestly thought
that the Yamahas looked good but would not be rebuildable.  To our surprise
they are both fine pianos to this day.  Time will tell.  We won't sell the
pianos due to "the unknown" in years to come.  But the "humid-a-seal"
pinblock of Yamaha is not just a story.

Ed Tomlinson