evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:29:35 -0500

Forgive me for chiming in.  I am not an educated woodworker or soundboard
expert, but I do find this discussion facinating.  One point that I think
that is being missed in all of this techno-discussion is practicality in the
modern world.

I think that it is safe to say that both crown-construction methods have
merits, however I see one major flaw to current compression crowning.  I
believe that the quality of the spruce lumber needed for soundboards is much
lower today than 100 years ago.  If this it true, then we should not just
blindly continue to use compression-crowning just for "tradition's" sake.

When I see compression ridges on a new Steinway, they tend to occur in the
widest grained sections (softer wood), often closest to a glue joint were
adjacent panels join.  Again, if it is true that quality (high density,
tight annual grain) wood is becoming more and more scarce, then I think that
it is foolhardy to use only traditional compression crown construction for
eternity.  Eventually quality Spruce will become so prohibitively expensive,
if not impossible to find, that piano manufacturers will have to rely more
and more on "rib" crowning.  If they don't, they will continue to produce
more and more substandard compression-crowned boards from substandard lumber
that tend to ridge more often because of the softer, low density (wide
grain) wood that is becoming all to common.

I have to agree with Ron, and Del this time.  It's not that compression
crowning is bad, it's just 100 years out of date.  If Steinway insists on
"baking the daylights" out of substandard wood, and then won't warranty that
piano when its board looks like broken pasta noodles 3 years later, then so
be it.  Eventually we will get sick and tired of telling loyal Steinway
clients that this is a "design feature."