evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:23:50 -0100

Thanks, Brian for the new voice in this thread. However, while the available
lumber stock may be declining, I would disagree that new soundboard
panels/planks are any worse than 100 or 150 years ago, but perhaps this reflects
better selection and definitely at much higher cost.

I posted some time ago the following two references in the properties of spruce:
"On Measuring Wood Properties," by M.E. McIntyre and J. Woodhouse in the Journal
of the Catgut Acoustical Society #42, 43 and 45, and "Violin Woods: A New Look"
by Alex L. Shigo and Karl Roy, University of New Hampshire, 1983. Noteably, the
latter has a photo of spruce originating in China, while not citing species or
any properties, the sample _looks_ very tight-grained.

The soft, summer growth wood indeed is more easily compressed to failure and
expands more, and the wood shrinkage figures I have are averages generalized to
all applications; specifically, however, the wood with medium grain density is
what this thread focuses on, since controllable expansion should be an issue for
CC boards and strength and lightness is for both CC and RC boards (see Del
Fandrich, "Soundboard Technology," Text for PianoTalk #2, Feb. 1995:
http://www.olynet.com/users/pianobuilders/soundboards.html) [...I am in no way
associated or affiliated with...].

As for my own understanding of the subject, the unshaped CC ribs as Frank Weston
describes are considerably more _deformed_ to accomplish the same profile of an
RC assembly; while the glue holds and the cellular structure of the soundboard
panels remains intact, this should present little problem. But as failures
progress, the tendency of these flat ribs is toward flat where the shaped ribs
maintain crown longer.

I seem to be adept at killing threads, but I hope not to do so with this one
since I'll be rib-crowning my first piano soundboard in the next week or so.

Clark "the Thread-Killer" 'Pianaccione'

"You're lying - this thing's 400 years old" - Ray Vaillancourt, alias Hatso