hammer steam voicing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:03:01 -0600

Greeting John,
                     This is the most commonly asked question, but I can't
give you an exact answer, but will relate my University experience.

  We tend to lightly steam voice the heavily used practice pianos at least
once per year, the job is done in about 10mins. Previously we reshaped and
voiced once every 3 years or so.(due to budgets) A couple of hours work.
  The pianos are mostly Yamaha U1's. the result, is  greater user
satisfaction, and a greater time between hammer reshapes.
   Some of the C3 classroom pianos that had new hammer assemblies installed
3 years ago, have still not had to be reshaped, and only minimal needling,
along with bi annual very light steaming at the strike point.
  Like many of the other skills that we have to master, you have to pay
your dues.
  With Baldwin or Yamaha's in particular, the results are very predictable
and lasting.
Voicing is like tuning, how long will it last?  Concert pianos that I look
after will be voiced several times a year, but this is touch up work and is
not radical.
 It is my experience that, the more frequently a piano is voiced (by any
means, needles, steam, shaping,) the shorter the time period between
voicing. Two reasons, 1. The wearing of the felt itself.  2. Educating the
customer on tonal possibilities, will have them asking for more service.
Hey that helps the pay check.

  Most pianos brighten with time, and it's like an insidious cancer, no one
complains until their half dead. Educate the users, and they will have
check ups.

  As to your second question, steam is less invasive than needles or
alcohol/water treatments. Again early indications of new hammers in
University usage, is that it will prolong hammer life.

A round about answer I'm afraid.
Regards Roger

At 09:59 PM 24/09/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>Some questions about the steam voicing.
>
>Does the steam voicing effect last very long, or does it only affect the
>tone for a short time?
>
>In connection with the first question, have you determined whether the steam
>physically alters the wool in the hammer?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Formsma
>Blue Mountain, MS
>
>P.S.  I'm going to try the steam voicing next month on a newish Wurlitzer
>console with an awfully bright tone.  I'm curious to see how it will affect
>it.

Roger Jolly
BaldwinYamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina