evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:59:46 -0500 (CDT)

>They are "better" than soundboard stock that would have been used in 1850.
>That close-grained blemish-free "perfection" is supposed to be essential
>for piano soundboards is another one of those myths, probably originating
>in the sales dept. late 19th C.  And going back 200 years you find all
>sorts of knots and pitch pockets, the bad ones generally concealed in some
>fashion, but only for cosmetic reasons. And the most prized soundboards in
>history (Ruckers 1600-1700) - alas would have to be rejected by even the
>lowest of modern piano manufacturers.  As for rings per inch this was all
>over the place and there seems to have been no attempt to choose specific
>patterns in soundboards...obviously they knew it wasn't important.
>
>And I know I'm not talking about modern soundboards in modern pianos
>built to self-destruct....
>
>Stephen

Years ago, I watched a film on PBS about a harpsichord builder. When the
interviewer asked him about the poor quality of modern materials, the guy
said he would be hard pressed to find wood *bad* enough to replicate what
was normally used in the old instruments. I had to laugh.

 Ron N