evaluating sdbd. crown, etc.

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:25:30 -0700

Frank Weston wrote:

>One of the most successful and largest volume restorers on the East Coast
>uses a method similar to the one I describe above.  They have tried
>alternative methods (shaping ribs) but had an inordinate amount of
failures
>of soundboards so constructed and long ago reverted to traditional
>construction.

Who is this, please?

Frank also wrote:

>Their observation was that not only were the alternatively
>constructed soundboards more likely to fail, but they were also less
>responsive musically.

This statement motivates quite a list of questions - 1) Which pianos use
"traditional" (in Frank's terminology) sb's? 2) Does the unnamed
restorer reinstall "traditional" sb's in pianos that were originally
manufactured with "alternate" sb's? 3) If so, what specific changes does
the restorer make to accomodate a different kind of sb? 4) What
proportion of pianos that this restorer restored had "traditional" sb's?
There are other questions, but answers to these would go a long way in
elucidating Frank's advocacy of "traditional" sb's. It would be
especially helpful to know which manufacturers use "traditional" sb's
and which use "alternate" sb's. Then those of us who don't know will be
able to observe and evaluate pianos in the field and throw our
observations into the discussion.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ