evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:32:26 -0400

Frank writes:

I don't know of m(any) major piano manufacturers who use rib crowned boards.

Hi Frank,

I hope you will not be offended by my response, but on my visit to the
Baldwin plant in Conway, Ark. last year, (they were making the grands there
at the time), they were indeed using a rib crowned board.

I actually like some of the characteristics of the Baldwin soundboards.  I
like the freedom of movement in the bass end of the boards, some of which is
due to the ribs terminating before reaching the case rim, and on the other
side, they're using scales that give a nice backscale length.  (For what
it's worth, I was told that they have been making plans to start putting the
ribs in a more standard configuration by terminating them much like other
pianos, attached to the inner rim.  What I think might be a good plan would
be to stick with the ribs coming short of the inner rim in the bass end of
the piano, and then perhaps the upper 4 or 5 ? ribs being glued into those
little inner rim slots in a more traditional manner.  It seems that type of
configuration would provide for a stiffer board in the treble, and a more
free board in the bass.  I haven't tried this one on a rebuild yet, but one
of these days when I'm working on one of my own, I may.)

I do seriously suspect that a number of other prominent piano makers
are building rib crowned boards as well, but I don't have personal
knowledge.  Perhaps others would be willing to share.?

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville,PA
btrout@desupernet.net