evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:01:48 -0500

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano
> Date: Thursday, September 23, 1999 12:45 AM
>

> So.  Keeping in mind that, if it weren't for that pesky rib, the entire
> soundboard panel -- top, middle & bottom -- would really like to be about
> 1,020 mm wide at this point, please explain to me how there can be any
> tension anywhere in this panel. ........ .... ....
> however, there is compression stress within the entire panel.  And it is enough
>to keep that rib bent.

Here the panel is "bowed" or "arched".  If the wood is not under "tension" in this
case, it must be a matter of word meaning.  _tension_ "the stress resulting from the
elongation of an elastic body --- contrasted with 'compressive stress'  "
	The word  "tension"  apprears to be used in place of "compression stress" In either
case the wood is under stress due to expansion. I suppose there is a big difference
here since tension involving only two opposing forces produces *stretching*, and
compression can result in *bending* (which cannot happen with tension) which creates
another force acting at right angles to the compression forces, giving an added
quality of elasticity.  If no bending no effect on the accoustic properties of the
sb,, I tink... ---ric