evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:25:27 -0500 (CDT)

>Ron or somebody... would you please tell me where the two numbers I have
>italisized and in bold text below ?? The rest is easy enough to follow.  :)
>
>Richard Brekne

Well, first off, I use a plain ASCII text mail reader, by choice, so italics
and bold are just another couple of HTML codes among the other hundreds of
HTML codes in the duplicated second half of the posts that use the format.
Not being able to tell for sure what numbers you are referring to, I assume
you mean the   Angle = 57.29578*(riblength/radius), and PanelTop =
0.017453*(radius+(ribheight/2)+PanelThickness)*angle. formulae. These are
both common enough to be found in a lot of different technical references. I
just substituted rib length for chord, and adjusted the radii to represent
the arc segment length relative to the rib length. I'm not remotely smart
enough to make this stuff up, if that's what you're asking. I've been
collecting engineering and technical reference books for many years from
estate sales and such. Some of them have proven to be useful enough to have
been well worth the dollar or so I pay for them. Some not. I find it quite
comforting to be able to work things out for myself when I have no absolute
authoratative source. It gives me the illusion of understanding how some
things work. Both of these happened to come from the New Departure Handbook,
which just happened to be the first place I found them when I went looking.
Now if I could figure a way to pound calculus into a brain that has no
detectable calculus receptors, I could work out a few more of the questions
that have been gnawing at me these many years.

 Ron N